January 14, 2011

The original and incredible "Flateurville" à Paris

I lived in Paris for a year (2008-2009) and it wasn't until july 2010 that I discovered one of the coolest and most surreal places I've ever been to, thanks to my friend Cora. Hidden in a passageway on the 10th arrondissement, right next to Rue du Faubourg Saint-Denis, you'll find a paralel universe created by artist Laurent Godard: Flateurville.







When we came in I was a bit confused... is it a gallery? is it a bar? is it a performance space? what is it!? But after 2 minutes, you just don't care. I just gave in and had an amazing night that I won't soon forget. 

You'll find people sitting on sofas and talking, while others drink their troubles away at the same time that someone is playing a beautiful piano in the central lounge. But that's not all.... if you take a stroll around the place, you'll find different areas that inspire you to do different things. The best of them all is a kind of urban jungle where they have performances every thursday night (from 6.30pm it's open to the public) on an amazing stage surrounded by fake but very realistic nature (it reminded me of Peter Pan's lost boys tree). My friend Coraline went on stage and delighted us with an impromptu performance, followed by an unanimous and, may I say, deserved applause. I actually got up on stage and started singing "Ain't no mountain high enough", after almost everyone left (what you gonna do, I'm shy) and with too much white wine and champagne in my veins ;)



Seriously, if you ever go to Paris and enjoy spontaneous and "don't-know-where-or-how-I'll-end-up" nights, go to Flateurville on thursday night and prepare to be blown away :)

No comments:

Post a Comment